University of Wisconsin

CAMPUS LANDMARKS

Memorial Carillon

Memorial Carillon
1160 Observatory Drive
Sewell Social Sciences Building
Madison, WI 53706

A cumulative gift of the graduating classes from 1917 to 1926, this 85-foot tower houses 56 bronze bells ranging in size from 15 to 6,823 pounds. Free concerts are given at 3pm on Sundays during the academic year. Group tours are limited to 20 people per tour. Call (608) 219-5291 for a reservation.

 

 

Bascom Hill

Bascom Hill

Bascom Hill Historic District and Bascom Hall
Bascom Hill is the main quadrangle of campus, crowned by Bascom Hall, the main administration building for UW. In front of Bascom Hall, a solemn bronze statue of Abraham Lincoln gazes over campus across to the Capitol Building downtown. A set of 12 historic plaques are placed around Bascom Hill leading down to Memorial Union, explaining various historical events that have taken place on campus. BASCOM BODIES: Two early Madisonians — William Nelson, who died in 1836, and Samuel Warren, who died in 1837 — are interred just to the southwest of the Lincoln statue. Buried there when campus was still undeveloped land, their bodies were rediscovered when the statue was installed in 1909. Their graves are marked by two small brass plaques set in the pavement behind Abe.

 

Red Gym

Red Gym
716 Langdon Street
Madison, WI 53706
(608) 265-9500

Dedicated in 1894 by President Charles Adams as a structure “built to endure for all time,” the Red Gym was both a training facility for citizen militia and a student center for recreation, sports, and social and cultural events. It was placed on the National Registrar of Historic Places in 1993. The gym now houses the University’s Multicultural Student Center, the Morgridge Center for Public Service, Center for Leadership and Involvement, and other student services.
Open to the public Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. 30-minute guided tour available by appointment
(608) 265-9500.

 

Harold Bradley House-used under creative commons by delegate.zero

Harold C. Bradley House
106 N. Prospect Avenue
Madison, WI 53706

Designed by the famous Chicago architect Louis Sullivan and Prairie School Architect George Grant Elmslie, this house was built as a wedding gift to UW Professor Harold C. Bradley and his fiancée Josephine Cranein in 1909. The house has been occupied by the Sigma Phi chapter of UW since 1915. Tours can be arranged by contacting Sigma Phi.

 

 

Camp Randall Memorial Arch

Camp Randall Memorial Arch

Camp Randall Memorial Arch
Monroe Street, East of Camp Randall Stadium
Dedicated in 1912, the arch serves as the entrance to the Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Park. The two soldiers flanking the arch represent all of Wisconsin’s Civil War soldiers, the “1912” inscription refers to the dedication date of the arch, and the “1861-1865” inscription marks the years our country fought the Civil War.

 

 

Camp Randall

Camp Randall Stadium
1430 Monroe Street

Madison, Wis. 53711
(608) 262-1866

Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office: (608) 262-1440 or (800) 462-2343
Ticket Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4:30pm
Camp Randall Stadium has been the centerpiece of the University of Wisconsin-Madison community since 1917. Before it became home to the Wisconsin Badger football team, the land was used as a major military training center during the civil war. Named after the Governor of the time, Alexander Randall, Camp Randall acted as training grounds for the Union Army. After the land was bought by the legislature in 1893, it was presented to the University as a memorial athletic field—making it the oldest and fourth largest stadium in the Big Ten. Camp Randall Tours: Offered Mon-Fri, 9:30am, 11am and 1:30pm, except Thursdays and Fridays before a home football game or during football practices. Tours must be scheduled at least 2 weeks in advance by calling (608) 263-5645. Tours last approximately 60 minutes and are walking intensive. Accommodations can be made in advance for guests with disabilities.
2012-13 Football Schedule

 

Kohl Center

Kohl Center

Kohl Center
601 West Dayton
Madison, WI. 53715

Wisconsin Athletic Ticket Office: (608) 262-1440 or (800) 462-2343
The Kohl Center has been the home to Badger men’s basketball, women’s basketball, men’s hockey and women’s hockey since 1998.
Tours may be scheduled for Mon-Fri beginning at 9am, with the last tour starting no later than 3pm. Walk-in tours, which are 15 – 20 minutes for groups up to 10 people, are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning at Noon.