Purdue University

CAMPUS LANDMARKS

Engineering Fountain

Engineering Fountain

Purdue Mall and Fountain
The Purdue Mall, or Engineering Mall, is a large grassy area in the middle of the Engineering buildings just south-west of Northwestern Avenue. The fountain in the center of the mall stands 38 feet tall and is made of 228 tons of concrete. Dedicated in 1989, the fountain was a gift from the class of 1939 on their 50th anniversary. Spraying recycled water from April through August, the fountain lights up the campus at night.

 

 

John Purdue's Grave

John Purdue’s Grave

Memorial Mall, University Hall & John Purdue’s Grave
Located south of Purdue Mall, Memorial Mall marks the original Purdue campus. One of the original six buildings surrounding Memorial Mall still stands today, and that is University Hall, built in 1876 (672 Oval Drive; West Lafayette, IN 47907). John Purdue, a Lafayette business man who donated $150,000 to fund the founding of Purdue University, initiated the building of University Hall which once held the President’s offices, the library, and a chapel. Today, it houses the departments of Political Science and History. At his own request, following his death in 1876,  Purdue was buried just directly across from the entrance of University Hall on Memorial Mall where students, alumni and visitors can visit John Purdue’s Grave. Other landmarks on Memorial Mall include a fountain gifted by the class of 1894, and a replica of a flagpole erected by patriotic students during the 1898 Spanish-American War. The tradition of the “Hello Walk” on Memorial Mall is to walk the length of the path dissecting the mall lawn, smiling and saying “hello” to everyone you meet.

 

Purdue Bell Tower

Purdue Bell Tower

Purdue Bell Tower
Funded by the Class of 1948, the Purdue Bell Tower was built in 1995 and stands 160 feet tall. It sits next to Sinninger Pond in the “Special Place Garden”, a gift from the Class of 1949. The tower design was inspired by the original Heavilon Hall bell tower, which was demolished in 1956. Holding the restored Heavilon  clockworks and original bells, the Purdue Bell Tower now chimes via a computerized carillon system every half hour, and plays the Purdue Fight Song at 12:20pm, 5pm and 10pm every day. A time capsule secured at the base of the tower is set to be open in 2095.

 

 

 

"Transformation"

“Transformation”

Transformation
Standing 40 feet tall and weighing 20 tons, “Transformation” adorns the Agricultural Mall near Pao Hall (552 W. Wood Street) as a gift from the Class of 1952. Constructed by Spanish artist Faustino Aizkorbe, “Transformation” is the second-largest all-bronze sculpture in the United States. It represents Purdue University: an evolving, changing entity reaching to new heights and striving to assist in the formation of educated, creative-thinking students.

 

 

 

Westwood

Westwood
photo courtesy of flickr @boilermakerWes

Westwood
500 Mc Cormick Road
West Lafayette, IN 47907

The 17-acre Westwood estate, overlooking the western portion of the West Lafayette campus, was given to the University by longtime Vice President for Business and Finance Robert Bruce Stewart in 1971 to serve as the designated presidential estate. Since that time, four presidents and their families have welcomed and entertained thousands of guests for special events. Purdue’s 11th president, France A. Cordova, and First Gentleman Christian Foster moved into Westwood in 2007, initiating a new era for Purdue and Westwood; but, like presidents past, they plan to continue Westwood’s tradition as Purdue’s embassy of elegance and goodwill.

 

Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering

Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering

Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering
701 W. Stadium Avenue
West Lafayette, IN 47907

(765) 494-5345
The Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering houses the School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the School of Materials Engineering, and the first School of Engineering Education in the country. The hall’s atrium highlights significant Purdue engineering achievements, and displays a lunar sample gathered in 1972 during the Apollo 17 mission. That mission was commanded by Purdue graduate Eugene Cernan and the sample was donated by Martha Chaffee, widow of Purdue alumnus Roger Chaffee, who died in the Apollo I fire in 1967.

 

Stone Lions Fountain on Centennial Mall

Stone Lions Fountain on Centennial Mall

Purdue Centennial Mall
Just on the southern end of Centennial Mall stands the Stone Lions Fountain, originally donated by the Class of 1903. It flows with more than 100 years of memories from all who have stopped for a refreshing drink of water. A short distance away lies Rush Crossing, a replica of the old Purdue railroad tracks that ran near the area prior to 1953, a gift from Purdue Alumni Jim and Janet Rush. Each fall, more than 5,000 freshmen ceremoniously step across the tracks to mark the beginning of their educational journey with Purdue. Graduates cross the tracks again at commencement to signify that this part of their journey has come to an end.

 

 

Purdue Reamers with the Old Pump on Campus

Purdue Reamers with the Old Pump on Campus
photo courtesy of purduereamerclub.org

Old Pump
Originally used by farmers during the 1860’s, the Old Pump is now located at the southeast corner of Stone Hall (700 W. State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907). Folklore claims that the pump was used by early Purdue co-eds as a campus meeting place; Purdue’s female students had an early evening curfew, but were allowed to go out after hours for water from the pump, which was located between the men’s and women’s halls. The men of Purdue often used this opportunity to meet with their sweethearts. Today the pump symbolizes romance, friendship, and the spirit of Purdue.

 

 

Mackey Arena

Mackey Arena

Mackey Arena
900 N. University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907

Tickets: (800)497-7678
Opened in 1967 and originally named Purdue Arena, the 14,123-seat multi-purpose athletic complex was renamed Mackey Arena in 1972 after Purdue alumnus and longtime athletic director Guy “Red” Mackey. Home to Purdue men’s basketball  and women’s basketball, Mackey Arena is considered by many to be one of the loudest arenas in the nation due to its domed aluminum roof.

 

 

 

Boilermaker Statue

Boilermaker Statue outside of Ross-Ade Stadium

Ross-Ade Stadium
938 Steven Beering Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47906

Tickets: (800)497-7678
The Ross-Ade Stadium was the dream of two Purdue Alumni, David Ross (Class of 1893) and George Ade (Class of 1887). Together, they purchased 65 acres on the north end of campus on which to build a new football stadium. After years of fundraising, the stadium opened on the Homecoming game, November 22, 1924, and was aptly named “Ross-Ade” stadium in honor of its primary benefactors. The stadium’s original seating capacity was 13,500 with standing room for an additional 5,000. Six expansions over the years have brought the current capacity to 62,500. The field features the PAT, or Prescription Athletic Turf system. Developed by Purdue staffers in the 1970’s, the PAT system features a network of pipes connected to pumps capable of keeping the field playable, even during a storm dumping one inch of rain per hour. In 2006, the field became the first in the Big Ten to consist of a Bermuda grass surface. Just outside of Ross-Ade Stadium, between the Intercollegiate Athletic Facility and the Mollenkopf Athletic Center, sits “The Boilermaker”. An 18-foot, 5,400 pound bronze statue depicting a 19th century boiler room worker, “The Boilermaker” dons the jersey of a different player on the football team each football game weekend.
2012-13 Football Schedule