Top 12 Places to Work Out In Columbus

Photo courtesy of lifetimefitness.com

Are you interested in finding the best gym around town? Well look no further because these top places to work out in Columbus-all available to the public without a membership-are being highlighted right here for your convenience! These places have been specifically picked out for their overall quality and reviews, so read through and pick your favorite!

Lifetime Fitness Easton
Lifetime Fitness has 105 luxurious locations in the U.S. and Canada, according to their website. The Columbus Easton building is just as lavish. The amenities at Lifetime Fitness include the basics such as cardio equipment, free weights, fitness studios, locker rooms, child center and yoga studio. They go above and beyond and also have an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, basketball, squash and racquetball courts, a rock wall and their own spa. They feature group fitness, personal training and family programs. For the week of Sept. 17 to Sept. 23 Lifetime has more than 75 scheduled classes. Up to seven-day free trial memberships are offered. Their address is 3900 Easton Station, Columbus, Ohio and doors at Lifetime are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Metro Fitness Downtown
Metro Fitness opened up in Downtown Columbus in Jan. 1994 and has expanded their gym to a 16,000 square foot facility. It is not only large but visually striking, with ornate ceilings and traditional architecture. A unique feature about the building is that it used to be a bank and still has the original vault. Membership benefits include use of the gym’s latest and greatest equipment, choice of 75 free weekly classes like boot camp, step aerobics, strength and sculpting, spinning, tanning packages and a babysitting service. Right now Metro is offering a free seven-day pass to the gym. Their hours are Monday through Thursday 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 8:00p.m., Saturday is 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. There are also locations in Worthington, Hilliard, Dublin, Pickerington and Delaware the Downtown gym’s address is 9 East Long St, Columbus, Ohio.

Photo courtesy of Arena District Athletic Club

Arena District Athletic Club
In the heart of Columbus’ Arena District lies the luxurious Arena District Athletic Club. The gym’s resources are split into eight different sections; cardiovascular equipment, strength machines, a pull and cable “jungle,” free weights, a spinning room, group exercise room, a fitness floor and a massage therapy room. Amenities with a membership include unlimited spinning and cardio classes, locker rooms with steam rooms, personalized health assessments, certified professional personal trainers, a laundry service and on-site massage therapist. Currently, the club is giving free five-day trail memberships to interested customers. Their hours are Monday through Thursday 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 9:00p.m., Saturday is 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The gym’s address is 325 John H McConnell Blvd., Suite 150, Columbus, Ohio.

Pilger’s Old Skool Fight Sports & Fitness Academy
Need to shed some pounds and take some aggression out on a punching bag? Pilger’s Old Skool Fight Sports & Fitness Academy is for you. At this gym you will learn the basics of boxing or MMA. Workouts include jumping rope, Mobility/Flexibility Exercises, shadow boxing, footwork drills, punch mitt work, heavy bag, abdominal and core exercises and conditioning drills. Memberships are set at three levels, a Silver membership include two classes per week for $79 a month with a four-month commitment or $70 a month for a year’s commitment. Gold memberships allows you three workouts per week for $95 a month with a nine-month commitment or $79 a month for a year commitment. Finally, with a Platinum membership you get unlimited weekly workouts for $139 dollars a month for a nine-month commitment or $129 a month for a year commitment. All memberships include a $50 initiation fee and a free membership to an online training resource called boxingperformance.com. The gym is located at 1034 Goodale Blvd, Grandview Heights, Ohio, and is open Monday through Friday 4 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., morning classes Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and open workouts Saturday’s starting at 10 a.m.

Fitness Focus
Fitness Focus gives clients a workout with a trainer every time in a friendly setting. In their sessions, they have a one-on-one experience with one of their two personal trainers. Intimidated by a lot of machines and do not know which one to use? Fitness Focus calls its gym a small fitness center and from pictures on the website there is minimal equipment. Have difficulty making to time to drive to the gym? One of Fitness Focus’ personal trainers solely works with costumers in their homes. Their workouts focus on core strength and balance, muscular strength and endurance, cardiovascular endurance and flexibility. You do not pay for a monthly membership here but individual or packages of sessions. At the fitness center location it is $40 for one session, $35 each for five sessions and $30 each for 10 or more. If you setup an in home workout it costs $45 for one session, $40 each for five sessions and $35 each for 10 or more sessions. Their location is 105 Radio Cit Blvd., Columbus, Ohio.

Short North Fitness
Short North Fitness gets its name from the area of Columbus it is located. The gym has sections for free weights, machines and cardio. Members are able to attend any of the more than 70 group fitness workouts offered every month. If you want to work individually with a personal trainer it costs pay $45 for a 30-minute session and $65 for a 50 minutes. Membership costs $49.99 month-to-month or $500.00 for 12 months paid-in-full. They are offer special prices for students and couples. Short North Fitness is open 5 a.m. to Midnight all seven days of the week and is located at 1137 North High St. Columbus, Ohio.

Scioto Trail. Photo courtesy of parks.columbus.gov.

Columbus Recreation & Parks Department Scioto Trail
If you are looking for a place to workout downtown but you are watching your pennies, check out Columbus Recreation & Parks Department’s Scioto Trail. This was the first of the nine-greenway trail built in Columbus and the paved path stretches a total of nine miles along the Scioto River. Part of this trail is the along Columbus’s Scioto Mile, a sequence of major parks, and civic landmarks. Trailheads are located at North Bank Park, Battelle Park, Bicentennial Park, Scioto Audubon Park, Greenlawn Avenue Dam, and Berliner Park.

Planet Fitness
In Planet Fitness’ mission statement it says, “We at Planet Fitness are here to provide a unique environment in which anyone – and we mean anyone – can be comfortable.” You have two membership options at Planet Fitness and both are specials tasting until Oct. 5. With the basic membership you pay a $10 start up fee and $10 per month for one year. You get unlimited fitness training but only at the Indianola gym. If you get the PF Black Card you are locked into a year commitment and pay $19.99 per month until June when it goes to $39.00. Benefits include use of all Planet Fitness locations nationwide, unlimited guest privileges at any location, unlimited tanning, unlimited use of massage chairs, half priced cooler and unlimited fitness training. Planet Fitness Columbus address is 3614 Indianola Plaza, Columbus, Ohio.

Metro Parks Highbanks
For the nature enthusiasts searching for a spot to go for a run more than 1,000 acre Highbanks is a prime location. It offers six different running trails on its grounds, ranging from 0.4 miles to 3.5 miles and surfaces of paved paths to gravel surfaces to grass and dirt. In the winter, the 3.5-mile Coyote Run trail duals as a cross-country ski path. A little farther away from Columbus, located at 9466 U.S. 23 N., Lewis Center, Ohio, from I-270 you take U.S. 23 North about 3 miles and the entrance is just before Powell Road. The parks hours are 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. April through September and 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. October through March.

The JCC of Greater Columbus
The JCC of Greater Columbus has four locations in the area. Membership includes access to all services, preschools, sports leagues, free group exercise and aquatic fitness, spinning classes, basketball courts, indoor track, racquetball and tennis courts and indoor and outdoor pools. Memberships can be purchased either in a year or three month option. Their hours are Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Sunday 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The four facilities are the JCC College Ave., 1125 College Ave. Columbus, Ohio, JCC North, 1985 Swansford Dr., Dublin, Ohio, JCC New Albany, 150 E. Granville Rd., New Albany, Ohio, and the JCC Hoover Family Park, 4290 E Walnut St., Westerville, Ohio.

Olentangy Trail Bridge. Photo courtesy of parks.columbus.gov.

Columbus Recreation & Parks Department Olentangy Trail
Streching 13.75 miles along the Olentangy River from Worthington Hill Park to Confluence Park, the Olentangy Trail connects Worthington Hills to Downtown Columbus. If you live near or at Ohio State, this trail runs straight through campus and extends for miles in both directions. Trailheads are located at Worthington Hills Park, Olentangy Parklands, Antrim Park, Whetstone Park, Northmoor Park, Clinton-Como Park, Tuttle Park, OSU, and Confluence Park.

Victory Fitness Centers
Victory Fitness has been privately owned since 1989 and voted No. 1 in Women’s fitness for 14 consecutive years, according to the website. Membership benefits include use of their facilities, pool, whirlpool and sauna, group fitness classes, ladies-only workout areas, free weights, running clubs, outdoor boot camp, fitness coaching, locker rooms and for extra you can add certain specialty programs. Their three Columbus locations are 3427 South Boulevard (Co-Ed Facility), Columbus, Ohio, 50 Graceland Boulevard (Women only), Columbus, Ohio, and 3981 East Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio (Women only).

About: Grant Gannon

My name is Grant Gannon and I am currently a senior studying journalism at The Ohio State University. On campus, I am a sports writer and copy editor for the student newspaper, The Lantern. My future goal is to be a sports journalist covering a college football team with a website or daily newspaper. My mom went to OSU and I am the fourth of four children to attend OSU (Dad went to Miami (OH) but we do not hold that against him).