The Ohio State University

COLUMBUS LANDMARKS

The Ohio Statehouse
1 Capitol Square
Columbus, OH 43215
(614) 752-9777
Completed in 1861 after 22 years of construction, the Greek Revival-style Statehouse is one of the oldest working statehouses in the United States. The building is adorned with historic art, including a marble bust of Abraham Lincoln. The expansive grounds surrounding the Statehouse were often used as a camp by Civil War Union soldiers.
Open Mon-Fri, 7am-6pm; Sat-Sun, 11am-5pm.
Free guided tours are offered Mon-Fri on the hour from 10am-3pm; Sat-Sun, 12pm-3pm.

Greater Columbus Convention Center
400 North High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215 
(614) 827-2500
Designed by internationally recognized architect Peter Eisenman, the Greater Columbus Convention Center is a showpiece along High Street with its pastel colors, awkward angles, and numerous exterior textures. Certainly not loved by all, the architecture is eye-catching and innovative.

LeVeque Tower
50 West Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Built in 1927, the LeVeque Lincoln Tower was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Designed by architect C. Howard Crane, the Art Deco-style 47-story structure, overlaid with glazed terra-cotta tiles, is an architectural icon of the downtown Columbus skyline.

Jefferson Center for Learning and the Arts Campus
65 Jefferson Avenue
Off of East Broad Street, one block east of north 11th Street
Columbus, OH 43215
In the mid 1800’s, Jefferson Avenue (named for Thomas Jefferson, who signed the original land grant for the area) was constructed as an upper-middle class planned suburban neighborhood called East Park Place. Three styles of architecture dominate the houses: Italianate (based on the Italian countryside), Eastlake (an English design) and Queen Anne (a mix of medieval and Victorian architecture). All of the houses make up an historic district listed on the Columbus Register of Historic Properties and the National Register of Historic Places. All are also currently used to house various non-profit organizations–one of which is the Thurber House, the former home of author James Thurber.

Santa Maria
25 Marconi Boulevard
Columbus, Ohio 43223
(614) 645-8760
Docked in downtown Columbus on the Scioto River sits the iconic Santa Maria, the “world’s most authentic, museum-quality replica of Christopher Columbus’ flagship.”
Adults, $4.50; Seniors, $4.00; Children (5-17), $3.50. Price includes 45-minute tour, departing frequently throughout the day. See website for seasonal hours.

Green Lawn Cemetery
1000 Green Lawn Avenue
Columbus, OH 43223
(614) 444-1123
One of the largest cemeteries in the Midwest, Green Lawn was established in 1848 and consists of over 360 acres of park land. This historic cemetery is the resting place of Columbus founders, former Ohio governors, Congressional Medal of Honor recipients and past OSU presidents. Green Lawn is also home to native wildlife such as coyotes, fox and deer living amongst the ponds, bridges and champion trees. The park is also a popular birding site, with over 200 species of birds.
Free tours are given upon request. Call to schedule a tour.
Open 7am-5pm the first Saturday in November through the second Saturday in March; 7am-7pm the second Sunday in March through the first Sunday in November.

German Village
On the south edge of downtown Columbus sits historic German Village. Settled by German immigrants in the early-1800’s, German Village was added to the National Registrar of Historic Places in 1974. Originally called “die alte sud ende,” (“the old south end,”) it is a quaint residential neighborhood made up of exquisitely restored brick homes with lush gardens and wrought-iron fences, lined along brick-paved streets. The German Village Society, founded in the mid 1900’s to preserve and restore the neighborhood, currently has over 1,000 preservationists dedicated to maintaining the historic quality of German Village. More than 1600 buildings have been restored since 1960. Today, German Village is the largest privately funded historic district on the National Register of Historic Places. Since 1960, German Village has hosted the very popular annual ‘Haus und Garten Tour,’ where residents open their homes and gardens to the public. Centered along Third Street, and on the tiny streets surrounding it, you will find locally owned artisan craft shops, the 32-room Book Loft, art and glass galleries and the Schmidt’s Fudge Haus.