Northwestern University

CAMPUS LANDMARKS

The Arch

The Arch
Located at Chicago Avenue and Sheridan Road, The Arch is the formal gateway to the NU campus. Every fall, the new Freshman class participates in a collective “March Through The Arch,” led by NUMB, kicking off their welcome week to NU.

 

 

 

The Rock, Northwestern

The Rock
Located just south of University Hall (1897 Sheridan Road Evanston, IL 60208), The Rock is a purple and white quartzite boulder dating from hundreds of millions of years ago. A gift of the class of 1902, The Rock was transplanted from Devil’s Lake, Wisconsin and once contained a fountain in the middle. In the 1940s, students began painting The Rock as a means of expression – anti-war slogans, team support, advertisements, birthday wishes and even a marriage proposal. In 1957, the first permanent coat of pigment was applied to The Rock, giving it a blank canvas. In order to gain the privilege of painting The Rock, students must “guard” The Rock for a full 24 hours—sun-up to sun-up—before they may begin. View live footage of The Rock on the Rock WildCam

 

Alice S. Millar Chapel

Alice S. Millar Chapel
1870 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208

Built in 1962, the Alice S. Millar Chapel was a gift from University trustee Foster G. McGaw, and was named after his mother. The chapel houses a 100-rank Aeolian Skinner organ and is distinguished by its magnificent stained-glass windows and a 151-foot spire.

 

 

University Hall, Northwestern

University Hall
1897 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208

Built in 1869, University Hall is the oldest remaining building on campus. Hanging above the west entryway is a sign ‘Old College,’ which once hung above the main entrance of the Old College building, the first building on the NU campus (built in 1855 and razed in 1973). The high-Victorian Gothic style building is constructed of the same type of Joliet limestone that was used in the historic Chicago Water Tower. The clock in the highest tower of University Hall was a gift of the class of 1879. The bells were the gift of the class of 1880.

 

Harris Hall

Harris Hall

Harris Hall
1881 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208
Built in 1915 for social sciences, this three-story limestone building is adorned with colossal Ionic columns and decorative applied pilasters on the top story. Named for Norman Wait Harris, a prominent Chicago banker, philanthropist and benefactor of NU, Harris Hall is used today by the history and communication studies departments.

 

 

 

Annie May Swift Hall

Annie May Swift Hall

Annie May Swift Hall
1920 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208
The daughter of Gustavus F. Swift, meatpacking Tycoon, Annie May, was a student at NU in the late 1880s. Built in 1885, the building was named after Annie May following her death of typhoid fever in 1889. An eclectic mixture of Venetian Gothic Revival and Romanesque styles, Annie May Swift Hall is home to the School of Communications and WNUR (89.3 FM), the student-run radio station.

 

 

Deering Library

Deering Library

Deering Library
1935 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208

Dedicated in 1933, the Deering Library is built in the Collegiate Gothic style and is inspired by King’s College in Cambridge. Deering houses the University’s Art, Music and Special Collections, as well as the University Archives. With stain glass windows providing unique, beautiful lighting during the day, visit the expansive music listening library for anything from classical to rock.
Main library hours: Daily, 8:30am-5pm

 

 

 

University Library

University Library

University Library
1970 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208
Built in 1970, and designed by Walter Netsch of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, University Library contains 4 million volumes, making it the 10th largest private university library in the nation.

 

 

 

 

 

Ryan Field

Ryan Field
photo courtesy of hailtothepurple.com

Ryan Field
1501 Central Street
Evanston, IL 60201
Tickets: 888-GO-PURPLE (467-8775)
Ryan Field sits on what was once a football field that held 10,000 people on wooden benches in the very early 1900s. In 1926, a new stadium was constructed to seat 45,000, and was named Dyche Stadium after former Evanston Mayor, NU Business Manager and NU Vice President, William A. Dyche. Renovations in 1949 brought the capacity up to 49,256. In 1996, Dyche Stadium received a complete overhaul, and was reopened in the fall of 1997 with grass turf and a capacity of 47,130. The stadium was renamed Ryan Field after The Ryan family. Patrick G. Ryan, a 1959 graduate, is the Chairman of Northwestern’s Board of Trustees and has been a board member since 1978.  His wife, Shirley Ryan, is a 1961 graduate and has been a member of Northwestern’s Women’s Board since 1978. Sitting less than a mile from Lake Michigan, spectators on the upper level of the west side of the stadium can catch a view of the water while those Lake Michigan winds whip through the stands.  
2012-13 Football Schedule

 

 

Welsh Ryan Arena

Welsh Ryan Arena

Welsh-Ryan Arena
2705 Ashland Avenue
Evanston, IL 60208
Office: (847) 491-7887 
 
Tickets: 888-GO-PURPLE (467-8775)
Welsh-Ryan Arena, located just north of Ryan Field, is home to Wildcat men’s basketball, women’s basketball, volleyball and wrestling. Opened in 1952 as McGaw Memorial Hall, Welsh-Ryan Arena seats over 8,100 fans.
Wildcat Ticket Info