Northwestern University

PAINTING THE ROCK

Located just south of University Hall (1897 Sheridan Road Evanston, IL 60208), The Rock is a purple and white quartzite boulder dating from hundreds of millions of years ago. A gift of the class of 1902, The Rock was transplanted from Devil’s Lake, Wisconsin and once contained a fountain in the middle. In the 1940s, students began painting The Rock as a means of expression – anti-war slogans, team support, advertisements, birthday wishes and even a marriage proposal. In 1957, the first permanent coat of pigment was applied to The Rock, giving it a blank canvas. In order to gain the privilege of painting The Rock, students must “guard” The Rock for a full 24 hours — sun-up to sun-up — before they may begin. Watch live feed of The Rock on The Rock Wildcam.