Located in the southeast corner of Nebraska in Lancaster County, Lincoln is the second most populated city in the state. Originally named Lancaster before the Civil War, the city was renamed Lincoln after President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. In 1867 Lincoln was established as the capital city. Just two years later in 1869, the University of Nebraska was founded as a campus of just four city blocks with the first building, University Hall, being constructed as a land grant university.
In 1906, the University of Nebraska began to expand with the help of John D. Rockefeller, a good friend of Chancellor E. Benjamin Andrews. Rockefeller matched the funds for constructing the Temple Building, a student activity center. In 1909, there were approximately 4,000 students enrolled in the University of Nebraska, which was split into the “city” campus and “farm” campus. Both campuses expanded at different rates, with the city campus rapidly increasing the amount of buildings, while the farm campus slowly developed a classical arrangement with a countryside feeling. Perhaps the most important structures built on the city campus in the 1920s were two large sports landmarks – Memorial Stadium (football) and the Nebraska Coliseum (basketball). As the University of Nebraska expanded, so did the city of Lincoln, which is currently home to approximately 250,000 people.
Today, the University of Nebraska offers over 150 majors in 10 different schools, each allowing opportunities to study abroad, become engaged in the community and develop leadership. Furthermore, there are over 400 student clubs and organizations for students to join and become involved in on campus. In 2011, the University of Nebraska became the twelfth team to join the Big Ten Conference, which is renowned for its members’ academic prowess.