CAMPUS TAILGATING RULES
WHERE TO GET FOOD & DRINK FOR YOUR TAILGATE
ORGANIZED TAILGATES AND PRE-GAME ACTIVITIES
SUMMARIZED PRE-KICKOFF SCHEDULE
As a non-permit holder, your best options for tailgating are in the East River Flats city park along the east bank of the river along the edge of campus, or Lot S108 in St. Paul on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
Redirect here for a complete list of tailgating rules and designated campus tailgating lots.
- Tailgating may begin 6 hours before game time, but no earlier than 7 am.
- Tailgating must end 4 hours after game time or midnight, whichever comes first.
- All vehicles must leave the parking lots when they close at midnight.
- Green space within a parking lot or within 15 feet of a designated surface parking lot may be used for tailgating by the participants assigned to that parking lot.
- Tailgating is NOT permitted on any other University of Minnesota property, including parking ramps and garages.
- Tailgating on campus, with alcohol, is only permitted in designated lots.
- Tailgating is permitted off-campus in a licensed parking lot without alcohol if it is allowed by the parking lot owner.
1540 New Brighton Blvd.
Minneapolis, MN 55413
A larger grocery store on your way to campus and the football stadium that will fulfill all of your needs.
Open daily 24 hours
1813 Riverside Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55454
Baldy’s sells Party Packs, perfect for any size tailgate, full of ribs, smoked pulled meats, and sides such as coleslaw, potato salad and baked beans.
Mon-Wed, 11am-8:30pm; Thurs-Fri, 11am-9:30pm; Sat, 12pm-9:30pm; Sun, 12pm-8:30pm
1414 Nicollet Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Market BBQ has been making pit smoked ribs for over 60 years. Order the Family Size BBQ to go; tubs of brisket, pork, coleslaw, and baked beans, and bottles of their signature sauce. Or, call ahead to place a catering order.
Mon-Sat, 11:30am-2:30am; Sun, 12pm-1am
Minneapolis Farmer’s Market
Nicollet Mall & South 8th Street
Thursdays, May-December, 6am-6pm
Mill City Farmer’s Market
704 South 2nd Street
Minneapolis, MN 55404
Saturdays, May 7-Oct 15th, 8am-1pm
1316 4th St. SE.
Minneapolis, MN 44514
Call ahead to place an order of hot dogs galore: Chicago Style, Polish Sausage, Coney Island Dogs. Add some variety with some meatball sandwiches and Chicago Italian Beef.
Mon-Wed, 11am-7pm; Thu-Sat, 11am-8pm; Sun, 11am-6pm
Midtown Global Market
Lake Street & 10th Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Shop at Midtown Global Market for fresh baked bread, meats, cheeses, and desserts for your tailgate. Want something a little different, and can’t decide between Mexican, Asian, Hawaiian, African, Deli, Spanish, Swedish, Middle Eastern, American, or Vietnamese? Then check out catering at Midtown Global Market, where you can order some or all of these international cuisines for your tailgate.
General Hours: Mon-Sat, 10am-8pm; Sun, 11am-6pm. Some shops open/close earlier or later. See website for detailed operating hours.
Pre-Game Party at McNamara Center
200 Oak Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Join Gopher fans of all ages at the McNamara Center starting three hours before game kick off. Food and beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are available for purchase. Activities include entertainment and college football games shown on jumbo screens. The party continues during and after the game.
Sally’s Saloon & Eatery Tailgate Party
712 Washington Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55414
Stub & Herbs
227 SE Oak St
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Stub and Herbs is one of the gems of the U of M. Located in stadium village, this restaurant and bar provides one of the most coveted spots on game days and weekends. Their favorite saying is that “your grandpa drank here” which for many is true. They opened in 1939 and have since been creating a legacy. Known mainly for their wide drink selection offering many local brews, Stub and Herbs also serves delicious meals from burgers served on pretzel rolls to hummus with veggies. For one of the best bar experiences on campus, Stub and Herbs is the place to go.
- 6 hours before kick-off (but not before 7am): Day-of-game campus parking lots open. See here for parking info.
- 3 hours before kick-off: McNamara Center pre-game party.
- 2 hours before kick-off: Gopher Victory Walk on Tribal Nations Plaza-team arrival at TFC Stadium.
- 2 hours before kick-off: Minnesota Marching Band pre-game concert on Tribal Nations Plaza (following Gopher Victory Walk).
- 2 hours before kick-off: TFC Bank Stadium gates open.