In 2009, after over 20 years of playing at the Metrodome and not really having their own home stadium, the Gophers moved to the newly built TCF Bank Stadium. Previous to playing at the Metrodome, the Gophers played in their own Memorial Stadium (1924-1981). Located on the northeast side of the Minneapolis campus, very near the site of the former Memorial Stadium, the TCF Stadium was the first stadium to be built in the Big Ten since 1960. The 1st LEED Certified collegiate football facility in the nation, TCF Stadium is constructed almost entirely of recycled steel. With a current capacity of just over 50,000, the stadium is designed for an easy expansion of up to 80,000 seats in total. 25,000 of the current seats-those in between the goal lines-have permanent, roomy chairbacks. The “newness” of it all doesn’t necessarily detract from the classic Big Ten experience: the brick façade and arches were modeled after the design of Memorial Stadium, the Veteran’s Tribute on the southwest corner honors all Minnesota vets, and the promenade surrounding the exterior of the stadium is lined with 87plaques representing the 87 counties of Minnesota. The stadium stays true to its Minnesota roots-a Big Ten tradition of pride and staying connected to the rich past.
Tours of TCF Bank Stadium are available by reservation. Tours last around 60-70 minutes, and include visits to the tunnel and field, locker room and media room. Email TCFTours@umn.edu to make a reservation. Adults (18-64), $4; Kids (5-17), $2; Kids (4 and Under), FREE; Seniors (65+), $2
TCF BANK STADIUM GAME DAY FAQ:
Below is a list of things to know about TCF Bank Stadium on game days. See the website for a complete up to date list.
- Gates open 2 hours prior to kick-off.
- Ticket office opens 3 hours prior to kick-off.
- Cameras and small camera cases are permitted and are subject to inspection.
- Small purses and fanny packs are permitted and are subject to inspection.
- Signs, as long as they do not contain profanity or block another fan’s view, are permitted. Must not exceed 24” by 36”.
- No smoking.
The following items are prohibited:
- Coolers, thermoses, cans or bottles.
- Outside food or drink.
- Flags, banners, balloons.
- Video cameras, tripods or cameras with lenses over 6 inches long.
- Strollers and infant carriers.
- Chair backs.