University of Michigan

MICHIGAN UNION

Michigan Union
530 South State Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

The Union was formed in 1904 as an organization for men on campus. The actual Michigan Union building was constructed in 1919 to house the organization. The statues on the front on the building depict a scholar and athlete; the “Ideal Male Michigan Student”. For years, the Union remained a male-only establishment. Women were allowed, as long as they entered through the side door with a male escort. Women were permitted to enter in 1956 for the first time without a male escort—and through the front doors. JFK spoke on the front steps of the Michigan Union on Oct. 14 1960, during his Presidential campaign. It was here that he announced plans for development of the Peace Corps. Today, the Michigan Union is home to numerous student organizations, study rooms, a bookstore, the campus info center, restaurants, a coffee shop, the U-Go convenience store, a travel agency, and a Ticketmaster outlet.

Building hours:  Mon.–Sat., 7am–2am; Sun., 9am–2am
See website for restaurant hours