University of Michigan

CAMPUS LANDMARKS

 

Burton Memorial Tower

Burton Memorial Tower

Burton Memorial Tower and Baird Carillon
230 South Ingalls Street
Ann Arbor, MI, 48109

(734) 764-4414
In 1936, former UM Athletic Director donated a set of 55 carillon bells that were cast in England.  Ranging from 12 pounds to 12 tons, the total weight of the set of Carillon bells (43 tons) makes it the third heaviest instrument in the world.  Located inside the 212-foot Burton Memorial Tower, the bells can be heard for several blocks. The tower is used by the School of Music of the University of Michigan, housing 8 floors of classrooms and offices.  There are also two sets of practice “bells” inside the tower for use by students, which to do not actually contain real bells.  Concerts and special events take place at the tower regularly throughout the year.  
Recitals are played Mon.-Fri. at 12pm.  The observation deck and bell chamber are open to the public Mon.-Fri. from 12pm-1pm.   Call (734) 764-4414 for full concert schedule details. 

 

The Brass "M"

The Brass “M”

The Diag and Brass ‘M’
The Diag marks the center of the original 40 acres of land on which the University of Michigan was founded, and is the social hub of campus.  Located in the center of the Diag is the Brass ‘M’, donated by the University’s Class of 1953.  The Brass ‘ M’ is very carefully avoided by Freshmen students: legend has it that if you step on the ‘M’, you will fail your first exam at UM!

 

 

 

William W. Cook Law Quadrangle

William W. Cook Law Quadrangle

William W. Cook Law Quadrangle
625 South State Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Completed in 1933, the school is the first self-contained law school in the country (living and dining facilities, classrooms, faculty offices, law library and practice courtrooms in the same building).  The exterior is designed in the Tudor-Gothic style of Cambridge and Oxford in England.   

 

 

Tappan Hall
photo courtesy of lib.umich.edu

Tappan Hall
 519 South University Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI  48109

The oldest standing classroom building remaining on campus, Tappan Hall is named after UM’s first President.  Tappan Hall now houses the History of Art Department and Fine Arts Library, and is the only perfectly temperature controlled building on campus.  

 

 

 

 

Martha Cook Building

Martha Cook Building

Martha Cook Building
906 South University Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Opened in 1915, the Martha Cook Building (donated by William Cook, 1882 grad, and named after his mother), was the first women’s dorm on campus. The dorm still hosts afternoon teas and formal dinners for residents and special guests. Non-residents are not permitted inside the dorm without being escorted by a resident, or “Cookie”, as they are affectionately called.

 

President's House

President’s House

President’s House
815 South University Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI, 48109

Dating to 1840, this is the only original University building still standing.  It was one of the original four professor’s homes, and was the first in Ann Arbor to have indoor plumbing.  

 

 

 

Maya Lin's Wave Field

Maya Lin’s Wave Field
photo courtesy of visitannarbor.org

Wave Field
Located in the courtyard on the southeast side of the Francois-Xavier Bagnoud Building at Beal Ave. & Hayward St.
Designed in 1995 by artist Maya Lin (Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC), the Wave Field is a ‘landscape as art’ sculpture made entirely of earth and grass.  

 

 

 

 

The Cube in Regent's Plaza

The Cube in Regent’s Plaza

Regent’s Plaza and The Cube
503 Thompson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

A favorite gathering place since the 1960’s, Regent’s Plaza is known for the 1.5 ton cube sculpture on the east end of the plaza.   Despite its mass, it can easily spin on its access with a gentle push. 

 

 

 

 

Thomas M. Cooley Fountain

Thomas M. Cooley Fountain

Thomas M. Cooley Fountain
Between N. University Ave. and Palmer Dr., across from the Burton Memorial Tower
Built in 1940 by the famous Swedish sculptor Carter Milles, the fountain was named after law professor Dean Thomas Cooley.  Titled “Sunday Morning in Deep Waters”, the fountain depicts Triton, the Greek God of the Sea with his children. 

 

 

 

 

West Hall Engine Arch

West Hall Engine Arch

Engine Arch
550 East University Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI‎ 48109

Originally the College of Engineering, the West and East Halls sit on the South East corner of the original campus.  The “Engine Arch” between the two buildings was built to serve as the traditional entrance onto  Central Campus.   According to folklore, a student is not a true co-ed until he or she has been kissed under the Engine Arch at midnight.  This tradition dates back to the time when men lived on Central Campus, while women lived only in the Hill residence halls, and curfew was 10pm.

 

 

 

Michigan Stadium

Michigan Stadium

Michigan Stadium
1201 S. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Ticket Info: (866) 296-MTIX (6849)
Envisioned by former coach Fielding Yost, Michigan Stadium was built in 1927, and has expanded from 72,000 to 110,000. Since 1974, “The Big House” has led the nation in average attendance every year except 1997.
Group Tours: Offered by reservation only at least two weeks in advance. $10 per person for groups of 10 or more. $100 minimum for groups under 10. $2 per person for non-profit groups & schools.  Call (734) 764-4599 to arrange a tour.
2012-13 Football Schedule

 

 

Crisler Arena

Crisler Arena

Crisler Arena
333 E. Stadium Blvd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Ticket Info: (866) 296-MTIX (6849)
Built in 1967, the 13,751 seat Crisler Arena is home to the men’s basketball and women’s basketball teams, as well as men’s gymnastics, women’s gymnastics, and wrestling events.