Michigan State University

CAMPUS LANDMARKS

 

 

Alumni Memorial Chapel
photo courtesy of artmuseum.msu.edu

Alumni Memorial Chapel
Along Red Cedar River, to the West of Bogue St. and East of Kresge Art Center
(517) 335-3464

Perched upon the lush, gentle slope of the banks of the Red Cedar River sits the tiny allfaiths Alumni Chapel, built in memory of former MSU students who have lost their lives serving their country in the armed forces. With its ivy-covered exterior and warm, intimate wooden-beamed interior, the chapel as has become a popular location for weddings; only MSU students, alumni, faculty and staff may reserve the chapel.

 

 

Beaumont Tower

Beaumont Tower

Beaumont Tower & Carillon
Built in 1928, Beaumont Tower has been the meeting place for the Executive Board of the elite Tower Guard Honor Society since its inception in 1934. The State of Michigan’s first Historical Marker is affixed to the side of Beaumont tower, honoring Beaumont Tower’s location on the site of former College Hall, the first building in America erected for instruction in scientific agriculture. In 1935, 39 bells were added to the tower’s original 10 to create a Carillon. The largest bell weighs 2.5 tons and the smallest bell about 15 pounds. The bells can be heard every 15 minutes chiming the time.  Check the website for recital schedules. Watch VIDEOS of the history and sounds of Beaumont Tower.

 

MSU Rock

MSU Rock
photo credit panoramio.com @Kevin Leonard

MSU Rock
Located on Farm Lane, just past Shaw
A gift of the class of 1873, the Rock was once used by Michigan Agricultural College students to study mineral contents.  The Rock quickly became a meeting spot for students and was known for years as “Engagement Rock.”  In the 1920’s, the Rock became a billboard for protest slogans, covering up the original inscription “Class of ‘73.”  Today, the Rock can be painted by anyone for the purposes of advertising events to political statements. The Rock is often a target of opposing team graffiti and must be guarded during the weeks of big games—especially football games against the University of Michigan.

 

Sparty Statue

Sparty Statue

Spartan Statue or “Sparty”
Located on the plaza at the north end of Demonstration Hall Field, south of the Red Cedar River across the Kalamazoo St. Bridge.
In 1945, a 9-foot-7 terra-cotta Spartan statue, weighing over 6,000 pounds, was dedicated to the University. In 2005, the original statue was moved inside the atrium of the Spartan Stadium tower to protect it from the elements and replaced by an exact replica cast in bronze. “Sparty” has always been a favorite photo op of students and visitors to campus; it is also considered good luck to rub Sparty’s heel. On weeks leading up to big games, band members take turns camping around Sparty, guarding him from vandalism. On game days, members of the band gather around Sparty for a pep-rally type concert in anticipation of the team’s “Spartan Walk.”

 

 

MSU Dairy Store

MSU Dairy Store

MSU Dairy Store
1140 S. Anthony Hall · Farm Lane
East Lansing, MI 48824

This ice cream is one reason MSU is nicknamed “Moo U.” Fresh, creamy deliciousness made from the milk of the cows right there on campus. The Anthony Hall location rotates 32 flavors, while the Union location rotates 20. Creative flavors include one for each Big Ten school, such as Buckeye Blitz, Gopher More, Maize ‘n’ Berry and Purdue Tracks. Prices are pretty cheap:  $2.50 for a single, yet very generous (the size of a double in most ice cream shops), scoop. During the week, the lunch counter serves grilled cheese and soup specials.  Try some day-old cheese curds or chocolate cheese as well.
Mon-Fri, 9am-8pm; Sat-Sun, 12pm-8pm

 

Spartan Stadium

Spartan Stadium

Spartan Stadium
100 Spartan Way

East Lansing, MI 48824

Ticket Info: (800) GO STATE or (517) 355-1610
Built in 1923, Spartan Stadium was once named Macklin Field in honor of  former football coach (1911-1915) John Macklin. The original  capacity of 14,000 grew to 76,000 by 1957 when it officially became known as “Spartan Stadium.”  In 1994, the capacity was actually reduced to 75,005 to increase comfort and improve sight-lines.  In 2002, the artificial turf of over 30 years was replaced with natural grass developed by MSU‘s turfgrass program, one of the nation’s top turfgrass programs.
2012-2013 Football Schedule

 

 

Breslin Center

Breslin Center

Breslin Center
1 Birch Road
East Lansing, MI 48824
Ticket Info: (800) GO STATE or (517) 355-1610
Home to Spartan men’s basketball & women’s basketball, Breslin Center is named for “Mr. MSU,” Jack Breslin. Breslin served as the captain of the 1945 football team, earning the title of most valuable player. He also earned varsity letters in baseball and basketball, was the 1946 senior class president and worked for the university for more than 30 years in various capacities. The Breslin Center is known for the rambunctious student “Izzone,” named after men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo. Opened in 1989, the Breslin Center holds over 14,700 fans and aside from Spartan basketball, also hosts numerous concerts and events throughout the year.

 

Munn Ice Arena

Munn Ice Arena

Munn Ice Arena
1 Chestnut Road
East Lansing, MI 48824
Built in 1974 strictly for hockey, Munn Ice Arena continues to regularly host the largest crowds in US collegiate hockey, with seating for over 6,400; Spartan men’s hockey games have been selling out consistently since 1985. Named after the late Spartan football coach and athletic director, Biggie Munn, Munn Ice Arena holds public skating sessions. While you’re there, take a walk around the lush grounds surrounding Munn Arena, which serves as a teaching ground for landscape architecture, botany and horticulture students.