Michigan State University

MSU ROCK


A gift of the class of 1873, the Rock was once used by Michigan Agricultural College students to study mineral contents. The Rock quickly became a meeting spot for students and was known for years as “Engagement Rock.” In the 1920’s, the Rock became a billboard for protest slogans, covering up the original inscription “Class of ‘73.” Today, the Rock can be painted by anyone for the purposes of advertising events to political statements. The Rock is often a target of opposing team graffiti and must be guarded during the weeks of big games—especially football games against the University of Michigan.

The MSU Rock is located on the east side of Farm Lane, just north of the Red Cedar River.