Michigan State University

THE SPARTAN WALK & SPARTAN STATUE

The original terra cotta statue was dedicated in 1945 but has since been moved inside Spartan Stadium to save it from unfavorable weather conditions. In 2005, a bronze replica replaced the original at the corner of Kalamzoo St. and Red Cedar Rd.

About two hours before kick-off, the Spartan football team will begin it’s walk to Spartan Stadium from their hotel at the Kellogg Center on Harrison Rd., across the Red Cedar River to Kalamazoo Street.  Members of the Spartan Marching Band play as the team walks single-file behind the Spartan Statue, each member rubbing it’s foot and leaving pennies at the base for good luck.