- Kegs, large “communal” beverage containers and drinking game paraphernalia are NOT ALLOWED in campus lots. This is highly enforced and you will be removed from your parking spot if found in violation.
- Open alcohol is allowed on campus during tailgating except for Munn Field which is always alcohol-free, along with pedestrian areas immediately adjacent to Spartan Stadium as well as all public areas of campus buildings.
- No tents larger than 10’ x 10’
- No couches or furniture
- No drinking games
- No trailers of any type, including roasters
- Over-sized trucks may only park in RV lots
- Trash must be disposed of in available receptacles
- Any underage person that blows anything higher than a .02 on a preliminary Breathalyzer test will most likely receive a MIP (minor in possession) citation.
- MSU Grounds staff members will hand out free green and white garbage bags prior to kickoff, so please take care of your trash.
4790 S Hagadorn Rd # 143, East Lansing, MI 48823 (517) 324-3827
115 Albert Ave, East Lansing, MI 48823 (517)351-3827
The main item on the Menna’s menu is the “Dub,” a grilled wrap sandwich filled with anything from scrambled eggs, steak and potatoes, to fajita or pizza fillings. Call ahead, order a bunch of Dubs and make your tailgate a breeze.
2329 Jolly Road
East Lansing, MI 48826
Backyard Bar-B-Q offers sandwiches, such as pulled pork, BBQ beef and Philly Steak. They also offer a couple of large BBQ platters that come with sides such as baked beans, coleslaw and mac-n-cheese. Check out their To-Go menu for your tailgate!
313 East Grand River Road
East Lansing, MI48823
Stateside Deli has been voted the best deli in the area. Their “Famous #32” corn beef sandwich with coleslaw and Russian dressing, grilled cheesesteak or a pastrami and turkey dubbed the “M.A.C.” are just some of the tempting sandwiches. Fresh soups, salads and sides such as potato salad and fries round out the meal. Call ahead to place a catering order and Stateside Deli will provide you with a tasty, filling tailgate spread!
Mon-Fri, 7am-8pm; Sat, 7am-7pm; Sun, 7am-4pm
Lansing City Market
325 City Market Drive
Lansing, MI 48912
Established in 1909, the Lansing City Market is an indoor venue offering local produce, dairy products, fresh baked baked goods, organic meats, hand-dipped chocolates, wine, and hard cider. You can also grab a bite to eat before or after you shop- market vendors offer deli sandwiches and salads, fresh made soups, daily hot meal specials, and ice cream. The Waterfront Grill, also located inside Lansing City Market, has a full menu of organic specialties, a bar, and TV’s to watch the game. Additional vendors bring their local goods for sale on Saturdays outdoors on the plaza.
Lansing City Market: Tues-Fri, 10am-6pm; Sat, 9am-5pm; Sun, 12pm-4pm through September 2.
Westlund’s Apple Market
2301 E Grand River
Lansing, MI 48912
There’s always Kroger for groceries, but if you prefer a small, local, family run grocery store, visit Westlund’s Apple Market in between campus and downtown Lansing. Start in the meat department where you can pick up their self proclaimed “best fried chicken in town,” along with house-made brats. The deli offers local cheeses and pre-made party trays. It’s a one stop shop with their large beer and wine selection, as well. Call ahead to order party trays or deli items. Mon-Sat, 8am-10pm; Sun, 9am-9pm
221 Ann Street
East Lansing, MI 48823
As the name suggests, Spartan Spirits will fulfill everything on your alcohol menu.
Big Ten Party Stores
1108 E. Grand River
East Lansing, MI 48823
Offering a wide variety of wine, beer, liquor and fresh homemade deli items such as sandwiches, subs, burritos, cookies and brownies. Call ahead to place an order.
Sun, 10am-12am; Mon-Sat, 10am-1:30am
Harper’s Brew Pub
131 Albert Street
East Lansing, MI 48823
Harper’s Brew Pub can provide kegs or growlers (large jugs) of their own microbrew (order online in advance). NOTE: Kegs are NOT allowed in campus lots.
Open daily, 11am-2am
MSU Alumni Tailgates
The MSU Alumni Association’s Tailgates are held near the northeast corner of Spartan Stadium close to the tunnel prior to select home football games. Enjoy live DJ music, contests, face painting for the kids and visits from the MSU Cheerleaders, Sparty and Zeke the Wonder Dog. Admission is free and food and beverages are available for purchase. Check the website for schedule. Tailgate begins 2.5 hours before kick-off.
Pre-Game Warm-Up on Adams Field
For band groupies, this is the place to hang out for a couple of hours before kick-off. Before the band even arrives, fans begin to gather on Adams Field, setting out blankets and picnic-type tailgates around the band field; some staking out their place on the sidelines with lawn chairs for the impending show (there is no parking at Adams Field, but you can unload your supplies from Circle Drive and stay for the day). Strollers push through the crowd as dogs in MSU jerseys sniff out new friends and chase Frisbees between the trees. 1.5 – 2 hours before kick-off, the band members will start to arrive at Adams Field. Each section arrives separately and begins to warm up on different parts of the field. Fans, friends and family members gather around to listen and to socialize with the band members and take photos. When the Sousaphone section marches over and storms Adams Field, the band knows it is almost time to assemble together to perform a short concert for the fans. The concert quickly evolves into the band forming into their parade block, and the percussion section breaking into “The Series” as the band marches across the river. Then, they are led by Sparty down Red Cedar Road through the throngs of fans to the stadium.
TIP: There is no parking here, but you can unload along West Circle Drive and set up around the practice field for the day with your tailgate!
- 7am (for a noon or 1pm kickoff); 9am (for a 3:30pm kickoff); 1pm (for night games): Day-of-game campus tailgate lots open. See here for parking info.
- 2.5 hours before kickoff: MSU Alumni Tailgate, northeast corner of Spartan Stadium.
- 2 hours before kickoff: Spartan Walk behind Spartan Statue to Spartan Stadium.
- 2 hours before kickoff: Drumline performs on Grand River Avenue (421 E Grand River Ave).
- 1.5 – 2 hours before kickoff: Public Spartan Marching Band warm-ups on Adams Field. Band sections arrive separately, warm up on their own, then converges for the march to Spartan Stadium.
- 90 minute before kickoff: Spartan Stadium gates open.