Built in 1923, Spartan Stadium was once named Macklin Field in honor of former football coach (1911-1915) John Macklin. The original capacity of 14,000 grew to 76,000 by 1957 when it officially became known as “Spartan Stadium.” In 1994, the capacity was actually reduced to 75,005 to increase comfort and improve sightlines. In 2002, the artificial turf of over 30 years was replaced with natural grass developed by MSU‘s turfgrass program, one of the nation’s top turfgrass programs.
- No bags larger than 5 ½” x 8 ½” x 2”
- No umbrellas, flags or containers
- No camera cases, binocular cases or tripods
- No alcohol or outside food
- One factory sealed 20 oz. water bottle is allowed per person—take one and save some money!
- Gates open 1.5 hours before kick-off
- No smoking
- Food includes typical stadium food (hot dogs, popcorn, pretzels, pizza). Tacos and Melting Moments ice cream sandwiches are also available