Aside from finding the perfect place to park, you need to be prepared with all of the up-to-date tailgating rules, traditions and, of course, food and drink!
- Parking spaces are for vehicles only. The use of a parking space for other reasons, such as portable grills, tents and chairs is not permitted.
- Likewise, saving spaces for other motorists is not permitted.
- Beer and wine are permitted in UI lots. Hard liquor is not permitted, according to state law.
- Kegs, Beer trucks, panel trucks, rental trucks, and buses with storage decks on top are not allowed in UI parking lots or ramps.
Bread Garden Market
225 South Linn Street
Iowa City, IA 52240
Comparable to a local Whole Foods, the Bread Garden Market has full catering that will prepare deli sandwiches to full meals for your tailgate. You can also shop for beer, wine and local organic foods.
See website for all Iowa City locations and hours.
Hy-Vee is a large midwestern grocery chain, and is a good place to stock up on all of your tailgating needs including beer, wine and paper products. You can also order wings, deli meat and cheese trays, salads, sandwiches and bakery items. Full catering (set-up and clean-up) is even available from some stores, and some also offer online ordering.
Jimmy Jack’s Rib Shack
1940 Lower Muscantine Road
Iowa City, IA 52240
Jimmy Jack’s Rib Shack will prepare a BBQ feast for your tailgate with Kansas city style BBQ ribs, chicken, pulled pork, brisket and turkey, along with baked beans, cole slaw and honey butter corn bread.
401 E. Market St.
Iowa City, IA 52245
Shop at John’s Grocery for beer, wine, deli trays, fried chicken, soups, salads, baked goods and artisan cheeses.
The Vine Tavern & Eatery
529 South Gilbert Street, Iowa City, IA 52240
39 2nd Street, Iowa City, IA 52241
Order take-out wings from The Vine for your tailgate. Wings come in 10 different flavors and are served with blue cheese and celery sticks.
Hawkeye Marching Band Pregame Concert
These free concerts by the Hawkeye Marching Band are always held in the Recreation Building one hour and fifteen minutes prior to the scheduled kick-off. The cheerleaders and Herky Hawkeye also join in on the show. The Recreation Building is located just to the northwest of Kinnick Stadium across Stadium Drive. The Hawkeye Marching Band Drumline will “warm-up” outside the Recreation Building 30 minutes prior to the concert.
Located very close to the stadium, this is a dead end street off Melrose filled with college students hosting keg parties. The younger crowd (of legal drinking age, of course) is probably most comfortable here, but everyone is welcome to join in the fun.
Melrose Street Food Vendors
Walk along Melrose street, on the south side of Kinnick Stadium, and you will find a variety of fried or grilled meat products for your game-day enjoyment such as “Meat on a Stick,” “Iowa’s Largest Brat,” foot-long dogs and pork chop sandwiches.
- 7am: Day-of-game campus parking lots begin to open See here for parking info.
- 1 hour & 15 minutes before kickoff: Hawkeye Marching Band pre-game concert at the Recreation Building, northwest of Kinnick Stadium.
90 minutes before kickoff: Kinnick Stadium gates open.