825 Stadium Dr
Iowa City, IA 52242
Ticket Info: 1-800 IA-HAWKS (1-800 424-2957)
Kinnick Stadium was built in 1929 as Iowa Stadium and was renamed in 1972 after 1939 Heisman Trophy winner Nile Kinnick, the University’s only Heisman Trophy winner, who died in service during World War II. Kinnick Stadium is consistently ranked one of the loudest stadiums in the nation, and the atmosphere during a game is electric and downright rowdy! Kinnick is one of the 20 largest university owned stadiums in the country. The most recent renovation, completed in August 2006, brought the capacity to its current 70,585; renovations throughout the years expanded the capacity from its original 56,000. Field Turf replaced 20 years of grass in 2009. One thing that remained the same throughout the years is the color of the visitor’s locker room: pink. In the early 80′s, Coach Hayden Fry instilled the tradition of the pink locker room, stating that pink is a “passive color” and, furthermore, a “sissy color.” A 20-foot-tall bronze statue of Nile Kinnick, depicted as a typical student rather than a football player, stands just outside the stadium. As the team enters the stadium on football Saturday, each player rubs the helmet that sits at the statue’s feet for good luck.
KINNICK STADIUM GAME DAY FAQ:
Below is a short list of Kinnick Stadium info you may find important to your visit. For complete, up to date Kinnick Stadium information visit the Kinnick Stadium Game Day Info Website.
- Gates open 90 minutes before kickoff.
- No alcohol.
- No smoking.
- Guests are permitted to bring in one (1) 32 oz. sealed plastic water bottle and one (1) gallon bag of food.
- Only small purses (8 ½ x 11), fanny packs, binocular cases, blankets, seat cushions, and diaper bags (with an infant) are permitted.
- No backpacks of any size, coolers, umbrellas, banners, signs, noise makers, tripods or large lens cameras.
- Fans may utilize the coin operated lockers in the UI Recreation Building located immediately northwest of Kinnick Stadium.
- No re-entry.