The University of Illinois campus lies in both Champaign and Urbana, IL.
Adjacent to one another, the twin cities are often referred to as Champaign-Urbana, Ill. Urbana began as a mill town in the early 1800’s, and has been the county seat of Champaign County since 1833. Champaign was founded in 1855 when Illinois Central Railroad built a track just west of downtown Urbana. Champaign was called West Urbana until 1860 when it became its own city.
The University of Illinois was founded in 1867 with two professors and a few students under the Morril Act, granting each state land to establish a public university. Originally referred to as the “Illinois Industrial University”, the name was changed to the present “University of Illinois” in 1885 to reflect the various arts and sciences offered aside from industrial studies. Today, UI enrolls nearly 41,000 per year, and is home to some of the highest-ranked Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Agricultural
Engineering, Library and Information Science, and Accounting programs in the United States. The architectural appeal of the University of Illinois CU campus earned it the number #13 ranking, out of 50, in the praised book “The Campus as a Work of Art”.